Monday, June 4, 2012

Today

June 4, 2012

Today is the day.

Not a day, or some day.  Not tomorrow, or yesterday.  Not your day, not my day…. Just THE day.

Today is the day that I CHOOSE to change my life.  There is no day like today.  There is no better day, only worse.  This is the day to begin the process of building myself into the ‘me’ that I want to be.  For myself, for my wife, and for my family.

I am not obese, but I could be.
I am not anorexic, but I could be that too.
I am not a superstar athlete and I won’t ever be.
I am not a couch lounging, self indulgent, waste of oxygen and space, nor will I allow myself to be, although I am lazy at heart and want nothing more than to lie around doing as little as possible.

I am a relatively average guy (5’8” 185lbs, 35yo), with a wonderful wife and three great kids that deserve more from me than what I currently am and what I can currently give.  Not because what I am or what I can do is not enough, simply because I am capable of more and yet I am not giving that or being that.  I am shorting myself, and thus I am shorting them.

I coach youth sports and one of the things that I demand from my players is that they give their best.  That they perform at THEIR best.  Their best is not the same as the player standing next to them.  Each has their own skills and abilities that they bring to the table and I demand that each of them reach that potential and put it on display.  Yet I am not reaching my potential.  I have not demanded the best from myself.

It doesn’t matter what my current state of fitness or activity is, only that I am not reaching my potential.  I can be better than what I am.  I can do more than what I do.  I can be stronger, faster and more capable than I was yesterday, if I do something today.  If I do something for every ‘today’ for the rest of my life.

Today I start my journey.  Perhaps if you are here, watching this or reading this, today is your day too.  Their will never be a better one, only a later one.  So make the CHOICE, as I have.  DO something about TODAY and be the ’you’ that you deserve to be.  It only takes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment